Go to content

Torpedo Bay is named after the torpedoes earlier stored here in caves for loading onto torpedo boats moored by the pier. During the early part of the Continuation War (1940–1941) an extensive network of caves was excavated here for storing naval ammunition. About 150–180 torpedoes could be stored here and prepared for action. The conditions of the Paris Peace Treaty of 1947 meant that Finland could no longer have torpedo boats. Torpedoes continued to be assembled in Vallisaari’s caves, however, and tested underwater; while all naval vessels continued to be fitted with rails for torpedoes, since the Finnish fleet was maintained ready for action. Torpedo Bay is peaceful today, and its harbour can be used by visiting pleasure boaters.